What do Brexit, Diagrams and Spacing All Have in Common?

Solo Performance! (Comedy is something you’re born with, not something you can learn xo)

In preparation for Seminar 4.1, myself, Courtney Davies and Sebastian Farr collaborated on a satirical take on the lies behind the Brexit campaign. I wrote the section around the lies and ‘stretched truths’ the Remain campaign told, taking the role of Theresa May pre-Brexit as a pro-Remain campaigner. Our task was to create a performance that works for a particular style, in our case this was Traverse staging.

a traverse stage

To create the performance, we decided that we wanted to incorporate a screen which would help us to further the comedy and political satire. In one of my section, it was direct that the following would happen:

“As you probably can tell, I am a woman of my word. This referendum is going to make history, as the Remain campaign is going to win by a landslide.

The screen plays Theresa May stating ‘I won’t be calling a snap election’, before being promptly followed by ‘Theresa May calls a snap election’.”

The text in bold is directions for the screen. In this case, the screen has been used to create a direct sense of irony between what the performer is saying and what they are doing. Ironic comedy is commonplace in Solo Performance, as “dramatic irony stems from a sense of not knowing, or partial knowledge” (Barranger, 2012, 364) which is “easily portrayed when the space incorporates only the audience and spectator” (Barranger, 2012, 364).

The use of traverse staging and a screen inspired me to begin creating a diagram of a potential performance space for my Illuminat-based performance. The use of multimedia particularly interested me owing to the connotations created for the Illuminati by the media.

My reason behind placing a podium in front of the traverse-seated audience is to create a distance between actor and audience at the start of the performance, to then move out of this space and move around and into the audience area. Podium Two is a bit convoluted currently, as I have the brief idea to end the performance here, but what I will be doing there is currently unclear. The reason the audience are split into two is so they are facing each other, as I believe it is more effective to have them facing another member of the audience as they can experience the reactions of other members of the audience. Within comedy, I believe that if you see another member of the audience laughing or embracing the material, you feel more freedom to react to the work. The projection screen will hopefully be acting for the same purpose as within the ‘Brexit’ monologue I wrote in collaboration with Seb and Courtney.

The rest of the Brexit Monologue can be seen below the references.

WANT: To finesse my ideas behind ‘podium two’ and to continue researching into my idea. Fundamentally, I do not want to get too ‘strung up’ with this one idea and am open to changes/amendments.

LEARNT: How to use spacing and projection to create an atmosphere and mood, particularly a comedic and light-hearted one.

EXPERIENCE: Overall, my experience with using traverse staging and writing a script were really positive. I reiterated my enjoyment for script writing, reflected in my previous module Off the Page last semester.

Works Cited

Barranger, M. (2012) Theatre: A Way of Feeling. United States: Cengage Learning.

REMAIN

This scene follows of precedes two others, from the Leave camp and a TV News report. There is a screen at one end of the performance space (transverse). The performer walks on stage with a ‘I Hate the NHS’ badge and a hippie necklace.

Theresa Hello and welcome to the 2016 Hunger Games, [cough] I mean, the 2016 rally in favour of Remaining in the European Union. As they say in Parliament, no remain, no gain [laughs]. Just ask reliable politician Boris Johnson, he may be wanting to Leave but I assure you, the only thing that is leaving is the reliability of his tupe. I mean seriously, have you seen his hair now? His hairline is so high I’m surprised he hasn’t been arrested for politicising under the influence. I digress, but Boris knows that I keep my word. In fact, here is a clip of him praising me right now!

The screen plays a video of Gail Platt saying ‘I love Olives.’

Oops, sorry. Wrong video. The hair is almost exactly the same to be fair. Regardless, Boris Johnson really respects my opinion. As you probably can tell, I am a woman of my word. This referendum is going to make history, as the Remain campaign is going to win by a landslide.

The screen plays Theresa May stating ‘I won’t be calling a snap election’, before being promptly followed by ‘Theresa May calls a snap election’.

Why do I think remaining in the European Union is the best thing for this country? Well, just ask yourself this – have you ever wanted to go on holibobs, that’s holiday for the less fun-inclined of us, to Syria? But have you wanted to pop down to Barcelona to get a tan with the nice pool boy Paolo? I think the answer to that is yes! And why is that? [pause] No, it’s nothing to do with Syria being a dangerous, third-world country that generally isn’t safe. It’s because it’s in the European Union! If we leave, Barcelona won’t want to entertain you have a ‘cheeky mimosa’ during their siesta. I am VERY confident that staying in the EU is what this country wants. I’ve never been wrong about anything before and I’m not about to start now! Nobody knows what the country knows more than me. Mark my words!

The screen plays ‘Conservatives lose their majority’.

I know what some of you Leave voters might be thinking. £350 million a week to the NHS? Well, surely Theresa May hates the NHS! Well, to tell you the truth, I just don’t see the point of the NHS! I mean seriously, if I had a pound every single time I had to wait in A&E for somebody to help me with my sore back, as they prioritise those who are severely injured I’d be able to fund the £350 million a week myself! This is why I’d encourage privatised health care. For the measly price of JUST three times the average wage in this country, you can afford private health care. If you can’t afford that, it’s pretty simple. Just don’t be poor, silly!

On the screen, the Conservative party logo appears with the slogan ‘Conservatives: Don’t Be Poor or We Can’t Help You, Darling.

I personally find that reference to our country being in shambles because we’re answering to the EU is a load of codswallop! As good old Wavey Davey Cameron said, if we do leave the European Union we will have ‘serried rows of white headstones’ from World War III. Yes, ladies and gentleman, leaving the European Union will quite literally cause a third world war. And that’s not even the worst part, it might get more difficult for the elite to dodge taxation! If George Osborne has said anything more prevalent than how bad taxation will be if we leave Europe, I’d like to know!

The screen plays a video from a news report which discuss the fact that we have had little if no increase in taxation and spending since leaving the European Union.

If we do leave Europe, what kind of message do you think that sends? I can confirm that a recent survey from The Mirror detailed that out of every six Leave voters, over seven of them are confirmed to be racist! That’s right, 120% of the Leave voters are absolute racists! And of that 120%, at LEAST 155% have stated that they don’t believe in Santa. This is a shambles that I am not willing to be a part of! Plus, you’re trusting a man whos name sounds like FROMAGE? Fromage is French for cheese. Now, I don’t know about you ladies and gentleman, but having a last name that sounds like the French term for cheese is awfully suspicious coming from a leave voter! Maybe he’s got a secret plan with the French to test our loyalty!

The screen shows a picture of Theresa May holding a baguette whilst smiling.

To counteract the ongoing threat of the Leave campaign, I have decided today to release the official Remain campaign app! You can find it at the app store, simply search for ‘Wavey Davey is Gravy Baby and that Nigel Farage is Crazy, Lady’ app and you’ll find it straight away.