Corporate Enlightenment!

I have a title!

Having discovered I wanted to use the thematics of TOOT Theatre’s Focus Group last week, I decided to write my script in a business seminar style. To ensure the performance doesn’t stay in the same style throughout, I decided to change my ending so things ‘go wrong’ and the uncomfortable atmosphere and occasional dark humour throughout is contradicted with an intense end.

WANT: To use the first draft of my script to create the final product. I feel that there is room for additional comedic moments, as currently, it feels rather dark with only a few interjections of humour. I also feel that there are more references/works I can add to the performance, as it currently stands at approximately ten minutes – meaning I have a two minute leeway for the expected 8-12 minute performance.

LEARNT: 1) About my writing style

2) How to interject comedy within a dark scenario

3) More about my topic and the New World Order and its problematic nature.

EXPERIENCE: I’ve really enjoyed writing my script. There’s still a long way to go, but I’m happy with the product I’ve created so far. It has the potential to be a show that evokes a lot of responses from my audience, which is something I definited want to do with my final degree show.

The first draft of the script can be seen in full below:

CORPORATE ENLIGHTENMENT

By Adam Newton-Bennett

At the start of the performance, an image of the Illuminati triangle can be seen on the large screen. A soundscape is being played in the background as audience members enter. RECRUITER will greet the audience members as they sit down. The seating is in a triangle shape, with the screen being the third side of the triangle. Once the audience members have sat down, the music stops. The image remains. A table near the door has leaflets on them.

Soundscape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zRIc1Y7-PQ

Image: https://wallpaper.wiki/illuminati-wallpapers-high-resolution.html/treugolnik-triangle-illuminati-wallpapers-high-resolution

RECRUITER It’s lovely to have you all here today. As you know, you’re here to talk about corporate enlightenment. Of course, it sounds like a lovely seminar dedicated to the business elite, much like yourself, to make them feel better. But you see, capitalism is so…sleazy. You see, there’s around fifteen-million MILLIONAIRES in the world. We all work just as hard as them, right? So what makes them different? Over the next ten minutes, I aim to explain everything you need to know.

I want to start by asking everyone to raise their hands if you have done or felt any of the following:

• Have you ever felt like somebody is watching you?
  • Have you ever felt that your work is underappreciated?
  • Do you think that capitalism is wrong?
  • If you could erase the world as we know it and built a fundamentally new state, where we all work together for one end goal. Would you?

I’m going to choose someone at random.

RECRUITER addresses an audience member.

You. Where do you work? [Audience response]. Sounds vile. How long have you worked there for? [Audience response]. Would you say you like your job? [Audience response]. Let me ask you a very serious question, would you leave your job if you were offered a new position in a better institution? One which aimed to bring new meaning and equality to the people within it? [Audience response]. Interesting.

I’m going to be blunt. The reason you’re here is because you’ve been…recommended. I was told that you’d be here. You’re here because WE see something in you. And who are we? Well, just ask George H W Bush.

Video plays. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CWBTL33MpA

After the video has played, the original image returns.

There you have it, ladies and gentlemen. A New World Order. THE New World Order. In a world where our own country can’t maintain its peace with a Union designed to keep piece in Europe, how can we say that we’re safe anymore? If Brexit has taught us anything, it’s that we are in grave danger. That, and the fact that people really take bus advertisements to heart. But what is the New World Order? I’m very glad you asked.

Video edited by me (minus George W Bush clip plays in background).

Lets start at the beginning. In 1776, the Bavarian Order of the Illuminati formed. They were a secret society of the intellectual elite. Much like yourselves. Their one key goal was simple – to take over the world. However, their anti-clerical and anti-royal ideology made them become ostracised and othered by their communities. Just like all of us, they weren’t accepted. They were forced to stand within a standard, silent regime.

But what is their relevance today? Well, just like any legacy – their ideology never died. Whilst the original Illuminati strived to take over the world with their political ideology, the modern day facet has a different agenda. And that, my dear friends, is why we are all here in this room.

Starting in the 1970s, the NEW Illuminati has branded a new plan – the New World Order.

The New World Order has the intention to create one state. Some call it totalitarian, but I just call it post-modern communism. And at the heart of it, communism can work, right? If we erase all the negatives that capitalism has forced upon us Westerners, we can forge a new nation without fear. Without otherness. YOU, each and every one of you, could become an integral part of one bigger picture. Don’t YOU want to make history? I doubt your name will go down the history book working in accounting at Microsoft.

Video clip ends.

But don’t just take my word for it. All your favourite pop culture figures are HUGE fans of the Illuminati. Let’s take this Beyonce song for example. If we listen to Formation from Beyonce’s album Lemonade played in reverse, if you listen carefully you can hear her clearly saying ‘bring on the new world order’. Let’s give it a listen:

Play ten seconds of the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOe6MJYle9Q

Address audience member, a different one from last time.

Tell me, dear [brother/sister], what did you hear in that song? [Audience response]. You didn’t hear her saying ‘bring on the new world order’? [Audience response]. Wait, here, have this cotton bud, give your ears a clean and lets try it again.

Play ten second clip of song again.

How about now? [Audience response]. No? I’m beginning to think we wrong about you.

Anyways, Beyonce is just one example of the AMAZING network of people we’ve already recruited. They get such a bad press, you see. But so did the Titanic movie’s sequel! Come to think of it, it is a bit silly to make a sequel about a boat that already crashed, don’t you think? In fact, the Illuminati’s press is so poor they FORCED poor Beyonce to respond in her song.

Play the opening line of ‘Formation’

Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R5olNEjGG4

Poor B. She’s just like us, you know? Minus the twenty Grammy award-wins, net worth of five-hundred million dollars, rich husband and endless career prospects, me and my girl have a lot in common.

Address new audience member.

You. Have you ever watched Rupaul’s Drag Race? [Audience response]. It’s great, I’d recommend it. But back to the pressing questions, do you know the breakdown of the New World Order triangle? [Audience response]. No? I think once you all understand fully what we’re trying to do here, you’ll REALLY be sold.

Image of The New World Order triangle comes on screen.

Available at: https://imgur.com/gallery/OG8rHgP

At the bottom of the pyramid, you can see that ‘animals, earth and oceans’ are at the bottom of the Pyramid. These are fundamentals to our lives, but they unfortunately can’t add much to our regime. Above this are the Indigneous people. I’m happy to announce that NONE of you in this room are within this category. You see, there will have to be some…purging, before we can TRULY have our New World Order. All we want is to simply create one world where everyone has the same opinion and has no freedom of speech, to maintain order. Purging societies has worked out splendidly in the past, has it not?

Moving promptly through the rest of the triangle, we have chattel slaves, modern day slaves and women. Much like our masonic counterparts, we’re unfortunately a little behind on the gender equality route. But hey, so is the US president.

This section is where you all are. Debt slaves. I am a debt slave, who is here to recruit the rest of you to become debt slaves. It’s a HIGHLY rewarding career, I promise you. As opposed to a capitalist regime where you are a small part in a wider organisation, you are now a small part of one HUGE organisation. Sounds idealistic, doesn’t it? Erm, actually, that sounds kind of dumb…Anyways, continuing on.

At the top of the triangle we have Baphomet and his close circle. Baphomet will be leading us through this operation. He will be leading the debt slaves in our state to help with the purging process.

Addressing audience member.

Is, is it just me that thinks this sounds kind of familiar?

Baphomet will be leading charge against our governments to take control of our new totalitatian state.

To themself.

Totalitatian state? That sounds awful!

He, erm. He’ll be leading us to…um. I’m sorry, I can’t do this anymore. I didn’t want to be here anyway, one of those stupid debt slaves tricked me into it! If we all escape within the next two minutes, they might not be able to find us. On the count of three, I want everyone to stand up in an orderly, calm fashion. Okay. 1, 2 –

The lights go out. The screen begins to play this video for ten seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5-_ZPE0j-4

Oh my god, they’re here! They’ve seen us! Everyone stay seated please.

The video ends. The lights come up to a sombre red. On the screen, the words “we are watching you can be seen”. Music plays on top of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR28G204z5k

(In a monotone fashion, as to appear brainwashed) Thank you everyone for coming to Corporate Enlightenment. Have a great day. You may now leave. Feel free to collect a leaflet from the table on your way out.