Tech Qualms, Script Updates and a Finalised Staging

At long last, my tech for my solo performance (and my script paired with this the tech) are done! There were quite a few tech requirements that needed changing when moving them to a larger screen. Owing to the fact that my original beginning image barely stretched across my laptop, it came as no surprise that the image was particularly pixilated when moving to the projection screen. To work upon this, I’ve changed the initial image. I like this new one better, as its less ‘on the nose’, and gives less away about the performance that it previously did. This new image can be seen below:

Opening Image

Seeing as the style of my performance is presentational until the end, I’ve prepared my files and videos in a PowerPoint presentation format, so the videos can be seen to be part of a presentation. This makes the shift in tone at the end more dramatic, as it goes from what seems like a formal, albeit disturbing, presentation, to an event that has seemingly gone wrong. RECRUITER ends the performance distressed, attempting to get out of the situation before he becomes monotone and scared. This is when the audience is asked to leave, and ‘collect a flyer on their way out’. The presentation can be seen below:

Solo Presentation

I thought that a nice way to end the performance would be to make the slides disappear during the section were ‘things go wrong’, and to end with the presentation reappearing with just this on the screen:

Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 14.14.36

As this is a typical way to end a presentation, it feels that this works with the monotone and almost ‘brainwashed’ attitude I want RECRUITER to have after the soundscape is done. The soundscape, played just as RECRUITER tries to leave the room, sounds like such:

This soundscape, played only for ten seconds [before the Horror section comes in…thank you Annabelle (2014) for ruining all soundtracks I tried to find on YouTube] coupled with lighting going off and then flickering after five seconds, worked well to change the atmosphere of the performance.

My finalised staging will look like this:

Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 14.23.50

As you can see from the image, the projection screen and two seating banks make the shape of a triangle. The reason behind my staging being like this is to reinforce the imagery of the Pyramid, to make the audience a ‘part’ of the New World Order triangle. Rather than doing a third seating bank and having a small projection in one of the gaps, I decided to use the projection screen as the third side of the triangle, so the images shown in the performance are large and clear for those spectating.

Solo Performance (Flyer)

The leaflet/flyer table is near the entrance, and there will be a sign saying ‘please collect at the end, so they have something to take with them. The content of this can be seen above.

Overall, I’m happy with the progress that Corporate Enlightenment has made so far, and I’m looking forward to my tech on Wednesday! It’s crazy to think that the performance is only six days away, but I’m very excited to perform!

WANT: To continue my rehearsals for Corporate Enlightenment and ensure that the piece is well-rehearsed and the tech ‘snaps’ at the right sections.

LEARNT: That I am TERRIBLE at tech. It’s a good job the tech department are so helpful at the LPAC otherwise I’d be absolutely stuffed.

EXPERIENCE: Despite my aforementioned tech stresses, I’ve had a great experience writing and teching the end of my script. Now that everything is together and I’m off script, its time to keep running and running the performance until I’m absolutely 100% happy with it.